For people who are not much into gold opt for shiny silver sparkle. Besides looks, it is quite light on the pocket and does not cost a fortune. However, silver jewelry is prone to tarnishing more than any other, making it unfavorable to wear after some time. Do not worry; we are here with a solution! This blog has detailed multiple ways to clean sterling silver jewelry in a short span right at home!
How To Clean Sterling Silver At Home
There are various methods and options, but making your own silver jewelry cleaner at home is the best. It’s fast and easy; let’s dive into the details.
Cleaner Solution 1 – Lemon and Olive Oil
To make this cleaning solution, mix half a cup of lemon juice and add one teaspoon of olive oil to it. Use a spoon to mix them. To clean your silver jewelry, dip a cotton cloth in the mixture and start rubbing your silver ring to gently remove the dirt. After it is done, rinse the piece and dry it out.
Clean Silver With Toothpaste
Dilute a tiny amount of toothpaste and use a soft-bristle brush for cleaning sterling silver jewelry. However, you must make sure that the toothpaste does not contain a whitening agent; it will further tarnish your jewel piece.
How to Clean Sterling Silver Using Baking Soda Solution
The first step is to make a paste, and to do that, add 2 parts baking soda to 1 part water. Now, gently rub this mixture paste on the jewelry. The second step is to rinse and dry the tarnished silver jewelry to clean it out. You can either use a soft cloth or a microfiber towel.
Use a Dish Soap To Wash Your Sterling Silver Jewel Piece
- Soak your jewelry in a solution of warm water that has a few drops of liquid soap in it. Make sure you give it at least 10 minutes.
- Take a soft bristle brush and start gently cleaning the piece.
- Once you remove all the dirt and tarnish, rinse your silver in water to clean it thoroughly. Leave no traces of dish wash soap.
- Finally, dry your ring or necklace, or any other piece with a microfiber cloth to not scratch it out.
Can We Prevent Tarnish on Silver Jewelry?
The longevity of a silver jewel is its care. You should know that complete protection of silver from the wrath of air, heat, or moisture is not possible; however, limiting exposure helps a lot.
Here are some tips to keep your silver jewelry safe and clean:
- Store your sterling silver properly in a soft, anti-tarnish bag in a cool, dark place.
- Lesser the humidity, the better.
- You can add some items, such as a piece of chalk, charcoal, or silica gel, to the bags to help remove moisture.
- Do not leave your sterling silver jewelry in the bathroom after it’s clean and tidy.
- Make sure that jewelry is put on last after perfumes or lotions have gone in the skin.
- Wear it daily. It is no surprise that regular friction due to wearing it can help stay your sterling silver jewelry squeaky clean.
If you are a master collector of good jewel pieces, head to Pearlings to see our latest gig. We are sure you will find most articles to your liking. Visit us today!